Cricket

Wednesday

Atul acts funny

By Shilpa Jamkhandikar

Though he has a serious image, the actor wants to make audiences laugh

MUMBAI: He’s got brooding eyes, a solid look, and a talent for doing intense roles, but Atul Kulkarni would rather go the comic way.

“I feel I have done enough serious roles in my last five years in the film industry. Now I want to do comedy. In fact, in my latest Marathi film ‘Valu’ (Ox), I play a forest officer. We have just finished filming it. The film has very good comedy. Hopefully, after watching me people will realise that I can also do funny roles,” he says.

The actor is also excited about his role in Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s much awaited ‘Dilli 6’. “This was a script that both Rakeysh and I had discussed about even before ‘Rang de Basanti’ happened. Rakeysh was also very clear that he wanted to make this film before any other project,” he says.

The film, which chronicles the lives of the residents of the walled city of Old Delhi, stars newcomer Sonam Kapoor, Abhishek Bachchan and Waheeda Rahman. “Obviously, I can’t talk much about it right now, but it is a film I am very excited about. We will be shooting some parts in Jaipur and others in Delhi,” he adds.

Atul sure seems to have a thing for cities. He is also a part of a huge ensemble cast including Anupam Kher, Rajpal Yadav and Sarika in N Chandra’s latest project, ‘Breaking News’, which as the title suggests has nothing to do with the media.

“Yes, I know the title is misleading, but actually the film is about life in Mumbai, and the upheavals that one goes through in a city like this. The film should be releasing by January next year,” he adds.

Inspite of the slew of films that he has, Atul, who is a NSD graduate, hasn’t forgotten his first love. “I am doing a Hindi play ‘Kharashein’, but on the other hand I would also like to revive a Marathi play I did some time back called ‘Samudra’. We are planning to do the same play in Hindi. But for the moment I will be busy with the business of movies!” he ends.

No comments: